Monday, December 13, 2010

Snow in Tennessee

Ok, so this is one thing you DO NOT want to be apart of... Snow is fun and pretty and all but when the ground is warmer than the air, and the snow melts, and then the harsh wind comes by and freezes the top layer and forms ice, wherewith snow can fall on top of it... it is not good. Even in Canada or Buffalo, it is not good. Fortunately for the northerners, they have an army of salt trucks to curb the ice, melt it, and allow for safe travels to your destination.

In Tennessee though? Not so...

We have like 5 salt trucks for the whole state (total guess... it's probably closer to 8 or 9...) and they don't salt anywhere near enough, and the dummies that live here don't know how to drive in it... (Hello people... how about 5-10 miles an hour... not 30... 30 will get you killed in the snow and ICE.)

How come people can't just take it slow? Maybe that's not a problem for me, because I grew up in Hawaii, but come on... relax... you'll get there eventually! But if you hurry and drive like a crazy head, who knows if you'll even get there! Kind of a rant... but it needed to be said.

I went to a live "Walk through Bethlehem" event at a local Christian church, maybe about 25-30 miles from my home. I was in the area for the pancake breakfast, and socializing, and a few friends went to Bethlehem, and invited me to go with. I'm glad I did. It was really cool. They had shops, and things to taste... very fun. I highly recommend it. Anyway, by the time we were done, it was 2:30 or so, and we decided to go to a friends' house to wait till 5 or 6 or whenever the Christmas caroling activity was supposed to begin.

Well, along the way, we saw this:



(We being my friends' silver car in front of me with the bike rack, I was following her.)

A little way down the road, we saw this:



Which is kinda really hard to tell, but that's a yellow line, and he's perpendicular to it, not parallel. That is 10 kinds of wrong.

This last one I saw was past my friends' house after I decided I didn't really wanna sing nor was I dressed for it... so I continued on my way home and saw this:



If you zoom in and make this last one bigger, you'll see a semi-truck off to the left of my side of the freeway... the front end of that tiny car next to the cop car was ALL busted up. Insurance companies must have been going crazy crazy yesterday...

Oh, and my co-worker just called me. She lived in Rochester, NY for a while, and she said there were maybe 5 cars in the parking lot... and she knew I'd be here... the others that are here have also lived in snow, and know how to drive in it. My boss has a 2007 4 door Jeep Wrangler, so he's here too. (Only in a Jeep!) I LOVE my Jeep. Got to use the 4WD a few times in the past two days. So fun! :)

Speaking of... I made this last week, and I love it.



I also made a cafepress store for it: cafepress.com/JeepTough fun times. I'm ordering a shirt. :)

Um... That's pretty much it... I'm maybe half done with Christmas shopping... but I'm still not ready for it. Oh, and Andy, Jamie and Mark are coming to visit for New Year's (cause Thanksgiving didn't work out) And I'm so excited! I can't believe he's 11 months old! Such a cutie!

That's all from me for right now! I think I'm going to take a nap for lunch! :)

1 comment:

Jan said...

Having lived there for nearly 9 years - I can back up everything you say about not wanting to be on the road in the Nashville area when this happens. They just don't know what to do with/about it. Drive carefully!