Saturday, December 31, 2011

Spelling stickler

Recently, I've noticed that I'm kind of a stickler for spelling, grammar, and the like. I hate to see a your, when a you're should be used. The absolute worst (unpardonable sin) is "definitely" IT DOESN'T HAVE AN "A" IN IT! So much so, that I'll publicly correct you (on facebook, or in person in front of others, or wherever possible.) It's such a problem that I created a facebook fan page for it. I have issues. I know this. I've already come to terms with it.

I'm not the only one who is a stickler about such things though. (How many of these do YOU misspell?)

And don't *EVEN* get me started about the proper usage of your/you're, they're/their/there... I've got issues... So much so, that the following someecards.com pretty much sums me RIGHT up.

Pinned Image

BUT

I spell some words wrong EVERY SINGLE TIME! And I have no idea why!

Like maintainence. Cause it comes from the word "maintain" so... maintain-ence should work right? Well Firefox just red-dash-underlined it. I have no idea why, except for when I right click it, it gives me the option to spell it like maintenance. Which also looks like its spelled right to me... But I always spell it wrong the first time. Yes, always.

I also always always spell recieve wrong. I hate that word, and receive *still* looks wrong to me. I know the whole "I" before "E" except after "C" rule, but but "eve" makes the right sound to end that word in...

Wierd is another one I spell wrong every time. Weird looks like wired... I think I'm half dyslexic you know...

Another one I spell wrong EVERY TIME is embarassed. How come there's two r's in it? Sheesh! I don't hear that 2nd "r" when I say that word... Is it cause I wen school in Laie and Kahuku? lol Anyone else have spelling issues like me? Embarrassed. (Yeah... I should be! hah!)

I always always always spell necessarily wrong too. I spell it necissarily. A lot.

And Whoa... I spell it woah. Every time.

I think that about wraps it up... but I do reserve the right to add to this post whenever I fancy. Maybe for 2012, I'll try to be more conscious of the words I always spell wrong, and somehow (shock therapy perhaps?) spell them RIGHT.

Thank heaven for Chrome's built-in spell-check, otherwise I'd be toast!

No comments: