Saturday, August 6, 2011

Update!

Did I die? Nope. I'm still very much so alive and well. AND I made it to Cali. There were a TON of bumps along the way, but I made it.

Stupid Missouri. There was a major detour along the I-29, which took me like an hour away from where I really wanted to be. Omaha! I got to the record store 30 minutes after it closed, and I was kinda sad about that. BUT I still took a picture... And I checked in... I was mad about the stupid road closure. It took me WAY deep into Iowa, very unnecessary. BUT I made it alive, so I'm okay. And I saved whatever money I would have spent there, so it can't be too horrible.

So I drive by Drastic Plastic, snap a pic and head out to the hotel. I fixed myself some PB&J's with Hawaiian Sweet Roll sandwich bread, and basically the last of my Loveless Cafe Blackberry Jam, and my Trader Joe's crunchy peanut butter and enjoy my evening with Daisy in the hotel. :)

I used Microsoft Streets and Trips to map out my trip, I usually LOVE that software, but the roads in Nebraska weren't very well labeled... I took a wrong turn, and instead of turning around to pick up where I left off, I figured I could just meet the road I was supposed to meet, where the road I was on, met up with the road I was supposed to be on. Not so. The "roads" in Nebraska turned out to be muddy roads in the middle of corn fields... SO here I am totally off-roading in my Jeep WITH my 5x8 enclosed trailer fishtailing behind me from left to right. It is sheer torture. The mud was FLYING up and over the back of the trailer. It was caked on super thick and quite honestly, I still haven't washed it off. lol

It rained in Colorado, so I was thankful God had my back with a free car wash. It got most of it off, so I wasn't too concerned. It also rained super hard in Caǹon City, CO where my good friend Jill lives. Which she said was super odd, it hadn't rained there in MONTHS! But we still watched the dirt, leaves, and a drink cup float down the road. I stayed with Ms. Jillie the 2nd night, and it was SOOoOoOooo good to see her again. It had been 8 years since we had seen each other last. We were co-workers at the pharmaceuticals place I worked at in Cali 10.5 years ago. She worked up in Patents, and I was a lowly IT Technician, but sometimes, when a kindred spirit is nearby, you just click and you just know, and you're friends forever. That's how it is with Jill. She's been TONS better at sending out Christmas letters and pictures. I think I did it once by email the whole time I'd been away... and it turned out to be a New Year's email. lol Lame... Anyway, Jill had a spare room, and I got to sleep there. We had dinner at a Mexican restaurant (ALWAYS a win with me) the night I got there, and promised when I left that it wouldn't be another 8 years till we saw each other again! It's always a good feeling to be able to pick up right where you left off with a good friend. It was good seeing her son again too, He was just a little guy last time I saw him. I sadly didn't get any pictures taken though. Next time Jill!

So I kinda slept in, cause it wasn't a super long drive to Utah from Colorado, I was only going one state over... No biggie. So I left around 11am with a full tank, and I drove through some of THE most beautiful land I've ever seen in my life. I'm not big on skiing or snow or any of that, but those Colorado mountains in the summer seriously took my breath away. Absolutely gorgeous. I also drove through the town that South park was based on. Kinda cutesy.

So I got to Utah around 9pm or so, it was definitely after 8... It felt like I was constantly calling or texting my little brother Dave, so I could make sure his little 6 month old Lennon would be awake when I got there. I drove past the Provo exits (I was coming from the South) where my parents were, and exited 20 minutes north of there and pretty much made a b-line for Lennon! She's even cuter in person, and her smile can't help but make you smile and brighten up your day! I was so happy to finally get to meet her. Very cutesy baby. We un-hitched my trailer, and parked it at Dave's house, and then I unpacked most of what was in my Jeepie, and went along my way with Daisy and ended up at my parents' house after 11 or so. That was on Friday the 8th of July.

My Jeep was making funny noises. I don't know if Nebraska caused this or what, but it was not happy. It was kind of making noises in between George Jetson's car and a vacuum. Not good. So my mom was kind enough to call the Jeep dealership and schedule me an appointment to go and get it checked out. When I bought my Jeep, I bought a used car warranty. I learned from my last Jeep that this is pretty much vital. I'm so glad I did, because they told me that the front axle needed to be replaced AND the rear differential needed to be replaced as well. I have NO idea how much it would have cost me otherwise. I almost don't want to know! I left my Jeep with them while we went up to Yellowstone. They called to update me occasionally, and I was lucky to have a signal part of the time. They said the parts wouldn't be there till Tuesday... so I figured it was at least somewhat drive-able Sat-Tues... So I asked if I could pick it up Saturday after my Mom's side-of-the-family reunion. They said I could, so I did. I didn't do a ton of driving with it, but it got me to and from Steve and Crystal's house while they were at work, and working on mom and dad's flooring for the new house. Oh, yeah, my parents are moving. Selling the house I was born into and lived in for the first 5 years of my life. Crazy!

We also went to Yellowstone from the 12th to the 15th or so, and we got to have a lovely visit overnight with Uncle Dale on the way home from Yellowstone, and he took me four-wheeling behind his house. Super beautiful back there. Yellowstone was beautiful, and I'm glad I got to go, even though I migraine the first night. I put on some sunglasses and slept it off in the truck...


This is my favorite picture from Yellowstone. :) LOVE it.

That Saturday we did the reunion on my mom's side... I'm jumping around a little, but I didn't want to leave Yellowstone out! Here's another jump!

Anyway, so I drop the Jeepie off on Tuesday, and ask them if they had a loaner car I could use till Wednesday (I figure parts come in Tuesday, you fix it Tuesday and I pick it up Wednesday...) They did. It was a 2011 Subaru Outback. Not sure why, but my entire family is in LOVE with this vehicle. Mom wants one, Dave wants one, Steve & Crystal have a slightly older one. I don't get it, but I'm a Jeep gal. ;) If it doesn't say Jeep on it, I'm not interested.

Thankfully I was able to see Hayley and Mikey on Tuesday, so my trip wasn't a total bust... I didn't get to see Matt or Travis or anyone else that lives in Utah, but I think our friendships will survive until next time... I think there's a good chance of seeing them again, now that I'm back on the West Coast. (AND Soooo Happy about that!)

Jeep people called me and the part that was supposed to come in on Tuesday, didn't come in till Thursday (it had to be sent from the warranty company specifically) so I didn't get my Jeep back till Friday. Which was killer... I usually make big moves like this on Tuesdays. I moved to Cali the first time on a Tuesday, I left Buffalo on a Tuesday, I left Nashville on a Tuesday... Tuesdays are my day to move... But this time it was Saturday. I let it slide because it was July 23rd, and I love the number 23 (probably Michael Jordan's fault, but whatever, it's still a great number!) So I picked my Jeep up Friday, packed it to the gills that evening, stressed all night and couldn't sleep a wink AT ALL Friday night... but I was still on the road Saturday by 7AM. And I only forgot one basket of stuff from Mom's house. (oopsie!) She's since mailed me the one important thing from the basket... My hair straightener! Thanks Mom!

So... I was driving on NO sleep at 7am. Still in Utah, I start to get SERIOUSLY drowsy at 9am. only 2 hours in to my drive. Not good. At all. I blame the fact that I didn't leave on a Tuesday... lol But either way, I pull over at the nearest gas station, and purchase the 2nd 5 hour energy drink of my entire life. The first was pomegranate, and was nasty. Someone recommended Berry, and I'm so glad they did. It was TASTY! I followed it with a Diet Dr. Pepper. I was AWAKE! I made it to Vegas, and I got to see my beloved Bellagio again. Poor Daisy though, her little feets were getting burned on the pavement when we crossed the street. BUT, we got in, saw a show, and got out, and I was back on the road within 30 minutes or so. I also stopped there (it was about 1pm) and got another 5 hour energy. Yes, I took two that day. I needed it. :) And I was back on the road. My car said it was 112° F. Yikes. I was worried Daisy wasn't going to make it. My plant wilted a little too. I think they're both fine now though!

Anyway, I make it to Cali about 8pm, and I'm exhausted! BUT I saw a beautiful sunset as I turned onto the 78. My old stomping grounds. :)


Pretty right? That was the moment I knew I was home. Things have gotten better since then too. The next day I drove to Wildomar, CA, and visited Julia, a really good friend from the singles ward in Carlsbad... and my old home teacher from BYUH, his wife Carrie and 5 kids are in her ward! I hadn't seen Harvey in 11 years, and he still looked the same. Still super kind and generous too. Some people are just good people through and through. His wife is the same way, absolutely adorable family. It was so good to see them again! I know it won't be the last time either.

Since then, I've hung out with some old friends, and made a couple new ones. My roommates are really cool, and Daisy has already eaten one of their shoes, so now they keep their doors closed, and their shoes out of the reach of her puppy teeth. *sigh* My one roommate Tracy has a dog that is a few lbs smaller than Daisy, but the two of them get along really well. Her dog, Nala, is very vocal, and I'm hoping Daisy doesn't think that barking is okay, because she is REALLY a good quiet dog. Even ask my mom! Daisy slept in the sun room for 2 weeks and barely made a peep! :) She was a good girl at Mom's house aside from eating Paula's daughter's shoes, and digging a tinsy hole in the back yard. :)

Anyway, I'm happy to be back in So Cal, with the sun, amazing weather, and awesome people. The town I'm in is super cute, and I'm right next to everything I need!

I'm also re-finishing a dresser that I've had since Buffalo... I've brought it this far, I might as well love it, right? You can follow the pictures and progress of that on Facebook. :)

I've changed my phone number again so if anyone wants that, please let me know. Address is obviously changed as well, so definitely let me know if you want either.

That's all for now! I hope the next blog post is to tell you all that I got a job! I've got an interview on Thursday and I'm hopeful for that one! I'd be making a lot more than I was at the Symphony, so here's hoping! :)

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Glad the trip was awesome! Uncle Dale sure does love to quad on his property.

Best to you as you start your new chapter.