Wednesday, December 24, 2014

2014, I like you.

So... my last post, was in December of 2013? What? How does this happen ALL. THE. TIME!? I don't mean to neglect this blog, and keep paying for the domain hosting... but... I'm likely  never getting rid of it... so there you go.

ANYWAY... There's been some awesome things that have happened to me this year so far, and I just wanted to share them a little.

In January, I started a volunteer course that lasted just over 3 weeks, ending on the 26th of January. I wanted to help out, volunteer somehow, and I did some research, and found the Women's Resource Center in Oceanside, CA, not too far from my home, and decided to send an email about how and where I could come to help. Turns out, they don't let just anyone come and help. You have to attend a LONG course, and become certified in their Crisis Intervention program. After that I've been volunteering monthly as a Sexual Assault Response Advocate, and I'm so happy to say I've never been needed to come in and assist on an actual sexual assault. I know I would be fine if I was, but being available and on call for them has been a very fulfilling thing for me.


Also in January, I re-commited myself to be soda-free for another year... Happy to say that it's mostly worked. I've sneaked a few Low-Carb Monsters in there, but only when I was so dead-tired, I had no other choice. :) I'm happy I'm not as addicted to Dr. Pepper and/or other caffeinated drinks as I once was. Maybe I'll go for a 3rd year. Why not?

February brought a tune-up to the Matrix. It's been such a great car, dodging all the bullets for me... 
But it needed a new gasket seal, and I had new spark plugs put in. I also got new brakes. Little Lightening is such a good car though. :) I just found out it's lost a TON of value, probably because it's a 2006, but if it lasts me another 5 years or so I'll be happy. :)

I also went to an Imagine Dragons concert with the bestie, Michelle, and a hockey game with Aubrie and Kira! :) February was so fun!

In March, I got a #ridiculous sticker on my car and I just love it still. :) It's so very Maren. I was also on a Jury for 8 days... There was a pickaxe and undercover cops involved... I'm glad I got to serve, I'm glad it's over, but I'm mostly glad I don't have to be called up for Jury dudy for 3 years... (Well, more like 2 years now...)

I joined a gym in April... I haven't been back as many times as I thought I would, I've REALLY got to do better wtih that... and eat healthier for myself. Still working on that... ;-) 

On May 1st, I hit my 5 year divorce date, and we had some awesome cake to celebrate (Thanks Michelle!) and a gathering at The Yellow Deli. Scrumptious food. I highly recommend it. (AND It's right around the corner from Peppertree! YUM!) So we went there after... haha! Such good times with great people!

Having been divorced 5 years, I was then able to be set apart and trained as an Ordinance worker on my Wednesday night shifts. Since then I've had many blessings and have seen a big change in my life as a result. I'm so thankful to have the opportunity to work there each week! The ladies I work with are phenomenal.

May was also a big month for me, because I met a really great guy... The rest is kind of history, but I kinda want to share with you a few of our first words with each other.  He sent me a simple flirt that said "I'm Interested In You" and I replied ":) Hi Dan, how's it going? I hope you're having an awesome Friday! Yay weekend! ~Maren" lol Cause I figured, why not? What's the worst that could happen? It's either going to work out or it won't... how is that super detrimental? ;) It's not, so I went for it.

He then said "Hi Maren, I'm doing good loving life and yes I am having an awesome Friday I just finished work and now its party time. How's your Friday going any big plans for this awesome 3 day weekend?" And then I told him how I was driving to Utah to visit my niece and nephew who were barely 8 days old. :) We were kinda formal... I like it... but he soon asked me for my #, and we texted back and forth, and setup a first date/meeting. Something about him put me totally at ease with meeting him. I believe his mother was having a birthday that weekend, with some street tacos, and I almost immediately wanted to be apart of it. :)

June 7th I saw Third Eye Blind with Rudy and Ezra. Super awesome and epic.



Back to Danny though, after our first date (Details here), we made plans for a second date, and that was a little awkward. It was in June, which was a bit of a confusing time for me... mostly because md-june I agreed to go on a date with a new guy... On that date, I just kept thinking of Danny, and how he made me laugh and smile, which is kind of rude and really not nice, but... I figure it's for a good cause... That weekend, was the LDS San Diego YSA conference, which (at age 35) I probably shouldn't have attended, but I did. Danny was there, his parents were there (his dad is the Branch President of the Temecula YSA.) And I officially met them at the Bonfire on Friday night, and throughout the workshops Saturday, and church on Sunday (which I made him save me a seat to), I was finding myself more and more drawn to him.



After that, the rest of June and part of July was FULL of the Del Mar Fair (AKA: The San Diego Fair... I don't think I'll get used to calling it that...) and SO MANY CONCERTS! I probably went 6 times, and 3 or 4 of them were with Danny. Also of Note, I saw Darius Rucker at the fair in July too. EPIC. Pentatonix was also in the queue...

July 10th we celebrated Danny's birthday in Temecula by having dinner with his family, followed by an awesome backyard bonfire.

On July 18th, Danny and I had a date night to the temple, and our first picture together. Awww It's also the first time I told him I loved him.  


This past summer, I went to as many concerts as I could get my hands on, really... In July I also saw Daughtry, The Goo Goo Dolls, Plain White T's, Eve6, Everclear and Soul Asylum! I even got my ticket signed by ALL THREE members of Eve6! (#OHMYGOSHILOVETHEMSOMUCH!)


And to continue on my year that ROCKED,  far as concerts go, I saw Tonic and Vertical Horizon in Nashville and Weezer in Del Mar in August, Pomplamoose in October, Switchfoot, Bastille, and CAKE in November! It's even likely that I missed a couple. Oops! I can't even keep up with my own awesomeness! ;-) haha just kidding!

In early August, I also had the opportunity to go camping with the Chase family. We went up to Carpinteria, and explored that cute cute town! It was so fun to see their traditions, and favorite shops, and the sreet market. They've been coming here for camping for about 30 years. Super impressive that they've kept it up and have continued to go! It's such a great tradition!



Later on in August, I got to go to an Angel's game at Angel's statium in Anaheim with my babe... He's definitely an Angel's fan... And let's give it up for the old lady and the dude photobombing us... lol Awesomely epic. I posted this photo on facebook and everyone laughed at our photobombers. The other picture I took had me with my hawaiian ring on the other hand, and people were like "OH MY GOSH! IS THAT WHAT I THINK IT IS!" By that time, we both knew we were going to be married, and that it was going to happen on Pi Day 2015, but no one else knew yet. I liked it being our little secret. :)



For Labor Day, we went to Utah. We, Danny and I. We figured our relationship was getting serious, and it was time for him to meet the parents... I'd already been camping with his family, so it only seemed fair. There's still a LOT of people in my family he won't meet till the wedding or after, so I like that he was pushing me to make the trip to Utah so he could meet my family. If you'd like a really great giggle, click here: http://dannyandmaren.com/meeting-her-parents/ to read the whole story of how he met my parents, and soon after asks my father's permission to marry me. It still makes me laugh and smile, really. One for the grandkids, for sure! 

Also in September, we started rehearsals for our "Believe in the Miracle" Christmas program, held the first weekend of December. It was a LONG time practicing, but the show is always amazing, and always super fun to be a part of! If I move into another stake, I might not be a part of it again, and it was such a fun experience this year! VERY time-consuming, but very worth it! It's a great show, you should probably catch it next year! ;-)

Later on in September, we went camping AGAIN, with the PB Ward. LOTS of fun, very cold up near Julian though, at William Heisse Campgrounds.


October was mostly a blur, but on October 24, 2014, time stood still a little. Daniel Wayne Chase asked me to marry him, and I said yes! :) He's ridiculous, goofy, loving, sweet, and he worries about me non-stop. He's the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I'm lucky to get to call him mine forever on March 14, 2015. I love him so much and I'm working to live each day to be worthy of that love. (Which he says I accomplish by simply breathing... Seriously, he's a sweetheart!) I posted the whole story on our website here: http://dannyandmaren.com/the-proposal/ If you'd like to read all the details. :) I wrote it out soon after it happened, so it's more accurate than I would be 2 months later.

Danny and I both basically dropped the ball for Halloween, we'll be better next year, I promise... BUT I had purchased a Pi symbol and an eye patch, so I was a Pi-rate for halloween. I giggled my bootie off, and a few people smiled when they "got it"... I noticed mostly, my smart and nerdy friends got it without explaination really quickly. Very entertaining costume. :)


November brought my 36th birthday, Danny wrote: "Having dinner with my gorgeous fiance and celebrating her 28th birthday with Birthday flan" because we went to a great Mexican place for dinner. I thought it was hilarious. Cause, for the record, I'm not 28... But bless his little heart for saying so. :-D

Near the end of November, my babes and I went to Legoland courtesy of my roommate Elizabeth, who worked there for like a day... She had passes that expired at the end of the month, so we changed our Saturday plans and spent the day at Legoland! We parked illegally at the golf club up the street, and walked and walked and walked the long way there and twice as long on the way back (it was uphill, it makes the distance further!) But we had SUCH a fun time there! I loved it more than I thought I would, and it WAS Awesome! :-D


Danny was like a kid in a candy store the entire time, which was really cute to see. :) He's so great. He's a big lego, comic book, Star Wars fan, so it was fun to see him giddy as a schoolgirl in the Star Wars display, he took so many pictures, and his angles were awesome, after a while, I took pictures of him taking pictures. I was amused, even though I never showed the pics to anyone. haha! Oh, I love that big kid of mine! He's great.

December brought my much awaited Christmas concert! Danny came to 2/3rds of my performances, and I was happy about that, for sure. A bunch of friends were able to come and see the performances as well. This is my good friend Michelle and I. She's great. :)


We also attended a handful of Christmas parties, this one was at my fancy work party at the San Diego Marriott Marquois #MerryottMarquoisSD on December 13th, an that was really fun too. My co-worker snapped this pic of us there with his bi DSLR camera... (I so totally want one... the picture quality is like niht and day here!)


We also attended a few of his family's Christmas parties... hopefully next year we'll head to Utah for the Holidays. :)

Also at the end of December, we spent an hour one Saturday with my good friend Kristen Canady, who also made our weddin website: http://www.dannyandmaren.com (You should totally check it out! She does great work! Some of the links may not work, but it will be fixed soon!) And we leaked a sneak peak of our engagement session with her. (I mean, seriously, it's hard not to leak them ALL, but somehow I found the strength to refrain! #soproudofmyself haha Sadly, I have not yet found the strength to refrain from using hashtags all over the place. :-D

Anyway, here's that picture, if you missed it.


So now, it's just full speed ahead with the wedding planning! We hope to se you March 14, 2015 in San Diego, or April 3rd in Utah!

We are so thrilled and excited to see what the new year, 2015, the year of our marriage has in store for us! We're also so excited to have so many friends and family love and support us! We're truly blessed, and we definitely recognize the Lord's hand in our relationship, and hope that He will always provide that constant companionship we've come to recognize, throughout our lives.

We hope this holiday season and New Year bring you joy, happiness, love, health, and awesomeness! We love you!

Mele Kalikimaka and Hauli Makahiki Hou! :-D

~Maren (and kind of Danny too!) :)

1 comment:

geegeej said...

I enjoyed reading every word and every link! I love that you are so happy and so in love!